- The people of Christ are known by six different terms in the Bible.
- Some are shocked at the terms other than "church" that the Bible uses.
- This will be for the purpose of exposing us to what the Bible reflects on the redeemed in Christ.
- There will be six terms under discussion that are biblical facts that we will consider.
- Purity (No relationship with the "World")
- Holy Elect as He is Holy - Colossians 3:12 - "Put on therefore, as God's elect, holy and
beloved, a heart of kindness, lowliness, meekness, longsuffering..."
- Points out an attribute of the redeemed.
- Holy & without blemish - Ephesians 1:3-4 - "Blessed be the God and Father..."
- Today's Bride
- White = purity = dedication = devotion.
- Subjection - Ephesians 5:22-32
- Intimacy and Dependence
- James calls brethren adulteresses (James 4:4)
- Had fallen away from Christ.
- To embrace another is adultery
- Covenant breakers.
- We made a covenant with God (Christ).
- KINGDOM (JESUS KING & PRIEST - REVELATION 1:5, 20) "POSSESSIVE"
- Colossians 1:12-13 - "(12) giving thanks, unto the Father, who made us meet to be
partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light, (13) Who delivered us out of
the power of darkness, and translated us into the Kingdom of the Son of his love."
- We are enrolled.
- Recorded in the Book of Life (Revelation 1:13)
- Such as little children belong.
- Mark 10:13-15 - Spirit of the citizens.
- Unity - Ephesians 4:11-16
- Uniqueness - Ephesians 4:4
- We need each other - Hebrews 10:24-25 - "And let us consider one another to provoke unto
love and good works; (25) Not forsaking of our own assembling together, as the custom of
some is, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the day drawing nigh."
- Honor - Haggai 2:7 (House of David) - "...greater than Solomon's splendor..."
- I Timothy 3:14-15 - "These things I write unto you hoping to come unto thee shortly (15) but
if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how men ought to behave themselves in the House of God
which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of truth."
- Living stones - I Peter 2:5 - "Ye also as 'living stones' are built up a spiritual house, to
be a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God through Jesus Christ."
- Jesus the Carpenter from Galilee built this house - Matthew 16:18.
- Vocation - has job to do - Ephesians 4:1-3
- I Peter 2:9 - "But ye are an elect race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for
God's own possession, that ye may show forth the excellencies of him who called you out
of darkness into his marvelous light."
- Manifold wisdom of God is known through the church - Ephesians 3:10
- EKLESIA - called out for a purpose, (a job to do)
Top of Page
- We do have a purpose. Tell people of the Redeemer.
- Live up to the promise we made.
- Always count the cost.
- Some have fallen away.
- What about reaction from sermon in Acts 2?
...............(Here is a different introduction you may wish to use - GK)..............
A. Adam & Eve
1. Created Ch 1 & 2.
2. Transgressed Ch 3.
a. 3:15 - "I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between
thy seed and her seed, and he shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt
bruise his heel."
B. Sin continued - something was needed.
C. Prophets foresaw Jesus and the Church (Daniel 2, Isaiah 2, Ezekiel 2, Joel 2)
D. John the Baptist prepared the way by preaching repentance.
E. Matthew 16:18 - Jesus promised church.
F. Jesus came and died.
1. Delivered up by determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God - Acts 2:23.
a. And killed.
2. Hebrews 2:9 - tasted death for all men.
G. Acts 2
1. 1-4 Church established.
2. Spirit came as a seal of sonship - Ephesians 1:13.
3. 3,000 added together.
a. These were redeemed.