By Garry Knighton
Church of Christ/North - Shreveport, La.
At the crucifixion - the crowd was startled when Jesus cried, "Eli, Eli,
1. Some said -- calls for Elijah.
2. Some said -- calls for a drink.
3. Had they known the scriptures they would have recognized
B. They misunderstood, but not for the first time:
1. HEROD was convinced that He was a threat to his kingdom and his
2. Jews were convinced that He made fun of the temple in John 2 -
C. Jesus was widely misunderstood.
Tonight, let's look at some areas of Jesus' life and His ministry that
I. THEY MISUNDERSTOOD HIS MIRACLES.
A. They misunderstood the source of His power.
1. Matthew 12:22-29... attributed His power to Satan.
2. They should have known as Nicodemus did - John 3:2 - "...we know
B. They misunderstood the purpose of miracles.
1. Matthew 12:38 - show us a sign...
a. They wanted some type of side show circus performance.
b. Jesus never intended to be a walking hospital.
c. His miracles were to confirm who He was.
C. Miracles are STILL MISUNDERSTOOD today.
1. Many have no concept of the purpose of miracles any more than
a. READ "HEALING FROM HEAVEN" articles to show
D. Miracles were to CONFIRM the word:
1. Mark 16:15-20.
2. Hebrews 2:3-4.
3. Miracles ceased when the young church was confirmed and strong.
II. THEY MISUNDERSTOOD HIS GOSPEL.
A. Many misunderstand the relationship of Jesus to the law of Moses.
1. He is the fulfillment of the law - Matthew 5:17 - "Think not that
I came to
2. Galatians 3:24 - "...the law has become our tutor to bring us
3. Hebrews 8:6 - "But now hath he obtained a ministry the more excellent,
4. Jesus ushered in a better covenant, not placing greater importance
B. Many misunderstand the purpose of the gospel.
1. Some say we should have Jesus' teachings to have:
a. a better society.
b. to help the needy.
c. to correct injustice.
d. to provide happiness on earth.
C. The gospel is quite different from this:
1. It sometimes divides families - Matthew 10:35-36.
2. Brings persecution to the righteous - II Timothy 3:12.
3. It has a distinct purpose: SALVATION.
a. Luke 19:10.
b. I Timothy 1:15 - save the sinner.
c. Romans 1:16 - salvation.
A person can care for the poor, right social wrongs, work constantly for
TRUE, the gospel helps this situation, but it is the force that prepares
III. THEY MISUNDERSTOOD THE CHURCH.
A. The church of Jesus began in Jerusalem - Acts 2.
1. Spread into Judea, Samaria, and Galilee - Acts 9.
2. Acts 24 - Jews looked on it as just another sect of the Jewish religion.
3. They misunderstood the church that Jesus built:
a. The fact that Jesus was a Jew did not make the church Jewish.
b. Revelation 21:5 - "I make all things new..."
c. Jesus' church was not an off-shoot of Judaism.
B. The church is still misunderstood today:
1. Some think it is a sect of Christendom as the Jews thought it was Jewish.
2. The church is Christ's because:
a. Built by Him - Matthew 16:18.
b. Bought by His blood - Acts 20:28.
c. Saved by Him - Ephesians 5:23.
3. It is not a denomination nor is it any part of denominationalism.
C. People often argue, "All churches belong to Christ".
1. Shows their misunderstanding:
a. John 17 - Jesus prayed for unity - oneness.
b. The collection of denominations does not have this unity.
c. The denominational system is far from what Jesus prayed for, died
2. They think we are saying, "Leave your denomination and join ours.
IV. THEY MISUNDERSTAND
HOW TO BECOME A MEMBER OF JESUS'
A. The Lord Himself adds, not by VOTE.
1. Acts 2:47.
B. Adds believers who respond by faith.
A. Is Christ misunderstood in your life?
B. Let the Bible be your only guide back to Him.
C. Let an understanding of the Word of God penetrate your heart.