By Garry Knighton
Church of Christ/North - Shreveport, La.
Expository: Titus 1:1-4.
B. Titus needed encouragement just as you and I do today.
C. We have basically the same task entwined in our Christian duty today.
1. Set things in order - 1:5.
2. Stop mouths of false teachers - 1:11.
3. Speak things that befit sound doctrine - 2:1.
4. Exhort workers (servants) to be under the master's control - 2:9.
5. Remind one another to be subject to those who have the rule over
6. Help brethren appreciate the grace of God - 3:4-7.
This is not an easy task. Titus could perform the task knowing the
Let's notice four points of encouragement that Paul gave to Titus and to
I. I AM ONE OF GOD'S ELECT - V. 1.
A. Elect - EKLEKTOS - to pick out; to be selected or chosen.
1. We are "hand-picked" by God.
2. Paul was hand picked - Galatians 1:15-16.
a. Acts 9:15.
3. Jeremiah was hand picked - Jeremiah 1:5.
4. We are chosen by God today - Ephesians 1:3-4.
B. How did God chose us?
1. Through the gospel - II Thessalonians 2:13-14.
C. Why did God chose us?
1. To work His eternal purpose.
2. To do His work on earth.
a. The reason for urgency in using our abilities - Ephesians 4:11-16.
II. I HAVE THE HOPE OF ETERNAL LIFE - V. 2.
A. II Timothy 2:10-13 - salvation is in Christ.
1. Hebrews 6:17-20 - Jesus is our anchor.
2. II Peter 3:9.
B. Eternal life has to be in the Son.
1. Hebrews 5:8-9 - the author of eternal life.
III. THE MESSAGE - V. 3.
A. A planned message.
1. Galatians 4:4.
B. A revealed message.
1. Ephesians 3:2-6.
C. What the message is not:
1. Not a hand on the radio to receive salvation.
2. Not sending for a prayer cloth.
3. Not just a good feeling in the heart.
D. What the message is:
1. I Corinthians 15:1-4.
2. I Corinthians 2:1-5.
3. Romans 1:16-17 - power to save from sin.
E. The message demands obedience.
1. II Thessalonians 1:7-9
2. Mark 16:15-16.
IV. WE HAVE A COMMON FAITH - V. 4.
A. Common - shared by all.
B. Jude 3.
C. Acts 2:44.
D. Common faith depends on Jesus.
1. He never changes.
2. We must conform to him.
A. Are you one of God's elect?
B. Do you keep in mind your assurance of salvation?
C. Have you obeyed the message?
D. You must share this common faith.