By Garry Knighton
Church of Christ/North - Shreveport, La.
BUILDING A STRONG CHURCH SERIES - Lesson 3
- Ephesians 5:1-21
- The church has to be strong to survive.
- God has given us the perfect formula to be strong.
- After giving the formula, He gave attitudes:
- Walk with soundness - 4:17ff.
- Walk with honesty - 4:25ff.
- Having a loving, tender and kind heart as God does - 4:32
- In this lesson, let's look at a series of verses and discover for ourselves how we can be Godlike persons.
- BE IMITATORS OF GOD AS BELOVED CHILDREN - V.1
- Imitate God as in 4:32.
- Compassion - tenderhearted.
- Forgiving - Not forever grudging.
- Example: 4:28 - let him have a chance to get right. Don't hold it against him.
- How else can we imitate God?
- Follow Christ and His teachings.
- Matthew 5:10-16.
- Matthew 5:38-42.
- Love one another.
- God loved us - John 3:16
- Jesus laid down His life for us - v. 2.
- THINGS NOT TO BE NAMED AMONG GODLIKE PERSONS - V. 3-4.
- Sexual Immorality - a popular event at Ephesus.
- Acts 19:23-28.
- These things are in social forms today.
- All Impurity - all immoral activity.
- Greed - the want of another person's goods to the extent of finding a way to control them; wife, money, possessions.
- Obscenity - of flesh and speech - see 4:49.
- Foolish Talking - tends toward vanity of the mind.
- Leaves room for idle talk.
- Jesting - some people are offended - some are discouraged.
- Note verse 5.
- BE CAREFUL OF BAD RELATIONSHIPS - V. 6-14.
- Do not be deceived - v. 6.
- Do not be partakers - v. 7.
- You are not like them - v. 8-10.
- Have no fellowship with them - v. 11-14.
- The light will make them manifest - (bring them out into the open)
- WALK WISELY IN ALL MATTERS - V. 15-21.
- Redeem the time.
- Cannot be done by walking foolishly as the Gentiles.
- Cannot be done by partaking of the foolish deeds.
- Know what God's will is.
- Be filled with the Spirit.
- A man full of the Spirit will overflow with:
- Psalms - lip expressions.
- Hymns - from the inner man.
- Songs - spiritual in nature, exhortation
- Heart - place, mind of man.
Top of Page
- Have you been imitating God every day of your "newborn" lives?
- God expects it, instructs it and demands it.
- Do you always put others first?
- Are you even a Christian?
- No one can imitate God without following His teachings.
A. Have you been imitating God every day of your "newborn" lives?
B. God expects it, instructs it and demands it.
C. Do you always put others first?
D. Are you even a Christian?
1. No one can imitate God without following His teachings.